or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Stefan WehrmeyerAdminStefan Wehrmeyer (Admin, Mapnificent) responded  · 

I had a brief discussion on Twitter about STIB’s data for Brussels. It is available for free, but unfortunately under conditions that are not acceptable to me: http://www.stib.be/data-sharing.html?l=en
    The general conditions have some ridiculous paragraphs as I mentioned on Twitter before (https://twitter.com/#!/mapnificent/status/7208275082739712)
    The conditions I have a problem with are:
    - § 4.3 no modifications to the data set. Mapnificent transforms the data to be able to work the way it does, there is no other way. This paragraph may or may not apply, but I’m rather on the safe side and wait for the agency to give permission (like I did for San Diego and Los Angeles).
    – § 4.5: Sharing usage statistics twice a year. I don’t mind sharing statistics on a voluntary basis, but I don’t want to commit myself to a report twice a year. If I forget, I violate the conditions and might get sued or whatnot.
    – § 4.6: Displaying the STIB logo and slogan. I gladly link to every data provider and also put up some legal text if required, but if an agency wants to see their logo/branding on Mapnificent, they can pay me for it. Also STIB’s logo is pretty ugly in my opinion and wouldn’t fit well into the page.

To sum it up: The conditions are ridiculous and I have read a lot of license agreements for Mapnificent.
    I’m sorry, but I refuse to use STIBs data under their terms.
    I would set a bad example as a developer, if I agreed to this license, because open data licenses need to go in the exact opposite direction.
    STIB needs to understand that as a developer I’m doing them a favor if I develop apps using their data and that’s not what is expressed in the terms.

So what do? Please contact STIB: http://www.stib.be/avis-mening.html?l=en
    and try to convey the (admittedly complicated) issue.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Using STIB's data is Very crucial for Brusssels since it is the main public transportation company here.
        I will contact stib to see their point of view

• AlexAlex commented  · 

I got this response:

"The conditions for data sharing might seem restrictive at first sight, but they are there to guarantee a good quality and reliability of the information our customers receive through these kind of external applications. Unfortunately it happens too often that we find websites or applications displaying wrong or outdated information, and that is precisely what we want to avoid.

In case the conditions would be changed in the future, we will of course let this know through the usual communication channels."

• AlexAlex commented  · 

That's very unfortunate. I'll send them a complaint

Feedback and Knowledge Base