I suggest you ...

Add support for mobile browsers.

Does not work on iPad. Tried two different browsers.

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chillinvillain shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminStefan Wehrmeyer (Admin, Mapnificent) responded  · 

Tricky! Mapnificent needs some CPU power and iPad is probably not able to handle it. I will work with the iPad Simulator in the coming week, but can’t guarantee that it will work on an actual one (don’t own one myself). I will report progress here.
    Mapnificent currently works best in Chrome, Opera, Safari and Firefox (in roughly that order).

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Karen Collett commented  · 

Stefan,

Thank you for the informative comment. I would suggest that, when you detect that the browser doesn't support what you need, to, instead of displaying the map, display a message that indicates that the map can't be displayed because it isn't supported on the current browser.

• Julian commented  · 

I know you're only one (very busy) man, but please do consider Android when planning a mobile friendly or app version of mapnificent. :)

• Atrayu commented  · 

GPS or other location service integration would be nice.

• Don Reynolds commented  · 

If you supported IE9, it would work on Windows Phone 7 in the fall when the Mango update is released.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It would work fine if not for your retarded "give feedback" popup taking up the whole screen...

• David Lentz commented  · 

I think you've hit te nail on the head with the issue of background processing, and your approach seems like the best course to pursue, albeit a lotta work (i think). Good luck.

Tried the mini version of Opera on the iPad 2. It also does not work. The error messages are singularly non-helpful.

• AdminStefan Wehrmeyer (Admin, Mapnificent) commented  · 

Mapnificent does not check for User Agent Strings, but does a small feature detection. The Browser needs to support HTML5 Canvas and WebWorkers (background computing). Mobile Safari supports Canvas, but does not support WebWorkers (probably to preserve battery).
        I'm planning to integrate something that will outsource the computation to somewhere else when the device doesn't support it. I wish I had an iPad2 to test it though ;)

Perhaps the original iPad might lack the horsepower (or maybe it can, I dunno), but the iPad 2 is as powerful as many notebooks, and so long as the lack of Flash is not a problem, should be able to work well in this usage. I don't immediately see a way to modify the iPad's Safari agent string, so I'll try installing Opera and see how that works ...

Feedback and Knowledge Base